Saturday 26 February 2011

Slow Cooker - Chicken Stew

Speed post.  Well it's like the first half the recipe.  I'm getting the slow cooker ready before I go to bed and thought I'd share quickly.  It's hardly step-by-step but since the recipe instruction are "throw it in the pot" I figured I could skip the step-by-step fuckery.  I know you'll miss my fuckawesome photography.

Anywho this is what I've thrown in the pot:





About a dozen or so mini red potatoes
3-4 celery cut all purdy
3-4 carrots also cut purdy on an angle
2 medium onion cut into eighths
1 tsp of sage, thyme, oregano
2 cups of stock (I suspect that was too much - but I guess we'll find out)

I didn't throw in the chicken just yet because it's bad to mix the meat and veg before you add heat.  It's like asking for food poisoning.  I'll toss 'em in in the morning and cover them up as much as I can with the celery and carrots.

Next up - what the fuck to do with this once it's cooked.

Update: I was going to post a)how to thicken this and b) how to make cornmeal dumplings to go on top but I've had a shitty day and don't feel like it.

So to thicken it - crank the heat and combine water and cornstarch until you can just stir it.  Pour and leave for about 20min.

If you're going to add dumpling thicken it then just put the dough on top.  Here's the recipe:
 3/4c flour
1/4c cornmeal
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt

 Combine these in a bowl.



2/3c buttermilk (or milk with a splash of vinegar or lemon juice)
2 tbsp melted butter.


Combine the two and put the batter in small drops over the chicken.  Cook about 20-25min.

1 comment:

miss tejota said...

I needed to try a different chicken soup/stew recipe. Just made a northern bean and chicken soup and it wasn't as flavorful as I would have like. I'm pretty sure I'm raising my blood pressure with the amount of salt I'm adding.

Can't wait to try this.